Did You Know? Females are more likely to be allergic to nickel.
Women are More Likely to be Allergic to Nickel and Suffer from Contact Dermatitis
Many people suffer from allergic reactions to a broad spectrum of things. Food allergies and plant related allergies are some of the most common and most frequent causes of allergic reactions. Contact dermatitis from the skins reaction to an allergen is often a nuisance; however it is also the most treatable.
Please use this guide as a resource for knowledge and understanding of nickel allergy causes, symptoms and treatment.
As with other allergies, a nickel allergy develops when your immune system views nickel as a harmful, rather than harmless substance. When the irritant comes in contact with the skin the body has a negative over reaction to the irritant (contact dermatitis). This leads to skin rashes, hives and blisters.
An allergic reaction usually begins within hours to days after exposure to nickel. The reaction may last as long as two to four weeks. The reaction tends to occur only where your skin came into contact with nickel, but sometimes may appear in other places on your body. Nickel allergy signs and symptoms include:
Rash or bumps on the skin
Itching, which may be severe
Redness or changes in skin color
Dry patches of skin that may resemble a burn
Blisters and draining fluid in severe cases
During a patch test, very small quantities of potential allergens (including nickel) are applied to your skin and covered with small patches. The patches remain on your skin for two days before the doctor removes them. If you have a nickel allergy, the skin under the nickel patch will be inflamed when the patch is removed or in the days after removal of the patch.
Your doctor may prescribe one of the following medications to reduce irritation and improve the condition of a rash from a nickel allergy reaction:
When having highly sensitive allergies to everyday materials like nickel and other metals it is important to be extra attentive to what you come in contact with. It is easy to use an everyday item and not realize the danger it causes to your body.
For more information on nickel allergies and other derma logical conditions, please visit: http://www.aocd.org/